Maintaining a healthy mouth is vital to one’s overall health and wellbeing. When left untreated, common dental conditions such as gingivitis and cavities can result in tooth loss and/or gum issues, which can make chewing difficult and painful. In addition to causing mouth discomfort, dental issues can also lead to health problems in other parts of the body. Thus, it is important to be able to spot the early signs of dental problems so you can get the necessary treatment early on and prevent lasting consequences.
5 Signs To Watch For
So what are early signs of dental problems? Depending on the specific condition, the symptoms for various issues of the teeth and gums will differ. However, there are a number of general indicators that something may be awry in your mouth. Symptoms to look out for include:
- Consistent bad breath – Having halitosis, or bad breath, on occasion is normal. When bad breath becomes persistent, however, it may be the sign of a deeper issue. Both gingivitis (the first stage of gum disease) and periodontitis (advanced gum disease) are known to cause foul-smelling breath that sticks around.
- Red, swollen, tender or bleeding gums – Another tell-tale sign of gum disease in both its early and advanced stages is inflamed, irritated gums that bleed easily when you brush or floss. An abscessed tooth can also cause gum swelling and pain.
- Tooth looseness – If you can feel one or more of your permanent teeth wiggling, it may be an indicator of periodontitis. This advanced form of gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss in adults, so this symptom should never be ignored.
- Gum recession – Another one of the early signs of dental problems like gingivitis and advanced gum disease is receding gums. As gum recession progresses, your teeth may begin to appear longer than usual due to the gum line wearing away.
- Tooth sensitivity – When affected by tooth decay – more commonly known as a cavity – teeth tend to feel more sensitive than normal. If you experience tooth pain when you eat or drink something acidic, sweet, hot or cold, you could have a cavity.
Familiarizing yourself with these common early signs of dental problems is a key part of being proactive about your oral health and overall wellness.
Sunrise Dental: Helping Patients Maintain Healthy Smiles
Being able to recognize early signs of dental problems is a necessary step to prevent long-term oral issues. However, it’s not everything – seeing an experienced dentist on a regular basis is another essential part of the equation.
At Sunrise Dental, we provide comprehensive dental care for patients of all ages. Our areas of expertise include:
- General exams
- Emergency dental services
- Cosmetic dentistry
- Specialty dentistry (including oral surgery)
- Pediatric dentistry
Whether it’s time for a routine checkup and cleaning or you are having a dental emergency, you can count on our friendly team. We provide quality care using state-of-the-art dental technology. Our mission is to meet all of our patients’ dental needs while making them feel totally at ease. From the second they step into our office to the moment they leave.
To book an appointment at our office in North Bend, WA, give us a call today at 425-292-0540. We look forward to helping you keep your mouth healthy and your smile glowing.